Post #2: My Use of Communication Apps

Growing up in a technology-based society I have engaged in communicating with others through apps on my phone more than in person. Today most people rely on communicating with others through apps because it is an instant, faster, and more convenient way to communicate. I have used apps such as Voxer, HelloTalk, Marco Polo, and ClassDojo to communicate with others.

Permission by
Voxer is an app that I access on my phone to communicate with friends and coworkers. Voxer is an app that works like a walkie talkie. It gives me the opportunity to communicate through voice audio, as well as, sending messages, photos, and links. To use this app effectively, I search for my friend or coworker's Voxer account name to start a conversation with them either through messaging them or sending them a voice audio by holding down the orange button located on the bottom middle of the screen to communicate with them directly as if I was using a walkie talkie to communicate with them. I enjoy this communication app because it is easily accessed and easy to use to instantly communicate with others. I have only had positive experiences with this app, but I am sure that some may have had some negative experiences, but overall I have been very pleased and satisfied with the way this app allows me to effectively communicate with others.

HelloTalk is an app that allows me to communicate with others from different countries that speak different languages. I use this app for my Spanish course that I am currently taking at Anderson University. I thoroughly enjoy using this app and engaging in communication with others from around the world. This app allows me to send messages to a variety of different people who speak
Permission by
another language, and are interested in learning to speak English. I use this app to help me learn to speak Spanish and to communicate with others who can help teach and correct me in this process of learning another language. This app allows me to communicate through voice audio and messaging. It also has tools that allow me and the person that I am communicating with to correct grammatical errors, and translate messages that I don't know or understand. This app has provided me with many positive learning opportunities as I begin to advance my knowledge in the Spanish language. One negative aspect of this app that I don't really like is that anyone from around the world can message me, even if I don't know them. I don't know how safe or confidential this app is, and it makes me a little uneasy about using it.

Permission by 
Marco Polo is an app that allows me to communicate with my family and friends when I am not able to see them for a few weeks. The Marco Polo app is similar to Snapchat in the way that I can send
short video clips to my family and friends as a form of communication. Marco Polo is often described as functioning as a video walkie talkie. Instead of sending and receiving small voice clips to my family and friends I can send and receive short video clips. I enjoy this app and the effectiveness of it allowing me to communicate with others through video clips so that I can not only hear the voices of my loved ones but also so I can see video clips of them. The positive aspects significantly outweigh the negative aspects of this app. The only negative aspect that I can remember experiencing with this app is that it crashes quite frequently while I am trying to send back video clips to my family and friends.

ClassDojo is an app that allows teachers to communicate with their students and the parents of their students. ClassDojo allows teachers to build a relationship with their students and their parents by communicating with them through this app in a variety of ways such as sharing photos, videos, and messages. This apps is especially good for early childhood and elementary education grade levels.
Permission by
This app allows students to earn and keep track of their individual and group points for rewards, as well as, see their education progress. This app also allows teachers to communicate with parents and get parents involved and interested in their child's education. ClassDojo lets teachers post class stories, student portfolios of their work that they made in class, pictures and videos of their child throughout the school day, and send out important messages to parents instead of, or in addition to, sending home paper reminders about specific events coming up. There are so many positive aspects of this app, many of which are listed above, but of course, there are probably a few negative aspects to this app as well, such as some student on the app disappear from the class section, and skills and points not saving for a student or a group. Overall this app is a very effective way to communicate with students and their parents.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #7: Online Resources for Teachers

Blog Post #9: Creativity and Collaboration Apps for your Students

Post #8: Audio Recording, Editing, and Scriptwriting Apps