Blog Post #7: Online Resources for Teachers

It is important for teachers to utilize online resources that are available so that they can learn new ideas about education and how to teach their students more effectively. Technology is constantly changing and as a result of that, there are more and more resources and apps that teachers can learn to use and implement in their classrooms that can help their students interact and be creative with the material. Two very helpful resources for teachers is Kathy Schrock's resources and iPads4Teaching.
After viewing a few links in both of these online sources, I found that many of the ideas and apps could be very useful in the classroom. I thoroughly enjoyed looking through and reading some of the links listed on these online resources. 

One link that I clicked on that I found very interesting was Augmented Reality. After looking through this link, I found more resources linked at the bottom. It had resources for AR in education and AR
Permission by 
apps. After looking at the app store for some of the apps that were listed, I downloaded the Catchy Words AR. This was my favorite resource and app because it was very interesting and I think that it can help make classroom material more exciting and fun to learn if tablets are available. The Catchy Words AR app was very interactive and engaging. This game allows students to move around the room to catch and pop bubbles that have letters in them. After the students walk around and move their device in all directions and find and pop their bubble, the letters then scatter across the room and the students must find all of the letters. After they find a letter, they must use their tablets to get the letter by hovering over it and it sticks to the screen as if it is a magnet. The student then must put each letter, one at a time, in the white squares to spell a word. I personally really like this app and think that it would be very effective in a classroom. I think that students would love being able to move around the room and interact with letters and spelling words. I think that students learn better through movement and visuals and this app allows the student to do both. I would definitely want to try this app in my classroom. 

The next link that I decided to explore was Sketchnoting in Schools. After reading this source, I
Permission by 
looked down at the bottom of this webpage and found more resources about sketchnoting in the classroom. It provides research links, how and why to sketchnote, sketchnoting and education, and tools for sketchnoting. I went to the tools for sketchnoting and found an app to download on my iPad. The app that I decided to download and explore was IPEVO Whiteboard. I really enjoyed using this app because it provides a lot of tools and options for students to take and interact with notes. In this app, students can draw, highlight, erase, type, move objects, take pictures, and video their screen. It also has tools like rulers, protractors, etc.. The student can do so much with this app. It gives them the opportunity to be creative in their notetaking. I like that it has so many tools and options for the student to use for their notetaking. I definitely think that this app would be useful for most students for sketchnoting and other activities in class. 

Permission By
Another link that I explored was Padlet and Flipgrid. I focused more on looking at the Padlet resources rather than the Flipgrid. I downloaded the Padlet app on my iPad and played around with it to figure out what it could do. I really liked that this app allows the students to be creative and make different visuals that expressed what they had learned. I think that this app is a very good way for students to be able to create things different visuals to show and interact with what they had learned. In this app, they can create different Padlets and they get to choose what format they want, such as wall, canvas, stream, grid, shelf, backchannel, map, and timeline. Depending on the format that the student picks determines what kind of options and visuals that the student can create. I really like this app because it gives them the freedom to be creative while learning and applying the information in a way that will help them remember the information. 

Permission By
The last link that I explored was Collaborating with the iPad. On this online source, it has more resources such as apps to use for collaborating and web tools and sites for collaboration. I looked under the apps for collaborating and choose to download the Classkick app on my iPad. This is a great tool to use in the classroom because it allows the teacher to view and collaborate with every student's iPad screen while they are working. This could be used for group or independent activities. It also allows the students to engage with the material in different ways. For example, teachers can make questions that the student must use audio, video, drawing, typing, etc.. I think that since this app has a variety of options for the student to show that they have learned is a great way to help the students to remember the material. I also like the idea that the teacher can watch the students participate and do their work and if they see a child struggling, they can access that student's screen and collaborate with that student by typing or writing on their screen to help them or give them hints. I think this is a great app for collaboration between the teacher and the student.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #9: Creativity and Collaboration Apps for your Students

Post #8: Audio Recording, Editing, and Scriptwriting Apps