Post #1: My Use of Technology as a College Freshman


As a freshman at Anderson University, I utilize and operate technology daily in a variety of ways. This past week I have used multiple types of technology for all my classes, including different apps on my iPad, specific websites on my computer, as well as, other technological tools and programs such as Microsoft Word. Every professor at Anderson University that I have had thus far has used a program known as Canvas, which can be accessed on a computer and an iPad. Canvas allows professors to communicate important information to their students, publish links for students to read, allocate assignments, give quizzes and tests, and create discussion boards for students to collaborate with one other and their professor.
Permission by 
For one of my classes this week, I was required to use Adobe Spark Video to create a video introducing myself using voice audio, music, pictures, and text overlay. Adobe Spark Video is easily accessed on a computer at their website, or on an iPad or tablet as an app. I used the app on my iPad because I found it easier to add pictures since I already had some pictures for this assignment on my iPad. I thoroughly enjoyed working with this app. It was easy to operate and is such a great tool to use for a variety of assignments for any course.
I have also had to use technology for some of my other classes to access online textbooks. For my Spanish course, I am required to use VHL Central to complete some of my Spanish assignments. This website is easy to navigate and very interactive. It takes each lesson in the textbook and gives me the opportunity to practice and interact with the material that I learn in class. For example, VHL Central uses videos to teach each lesson
Permission by
and then gives me an opportunity to apply and practice that information through activities that involve listening and speaking in Spanish. Another form of technology that I use in my Spanish course is an app known as Hello Talk. This app allows me to engage in Spanish conversations with people in Spanish speaking countries. This app has a tool that allows the person that I am having a conversation with to correct the grammatical mistakes that I make to assist me in learning to speak and write Spanish. I enjoy using this app and I think that it is impressive that I am able to engage in conversations with Spanish speaking people from around the world, but it can also be scary at times because I do not really know who I am talking to.
I also use technology to access my online textbook for my math course at a website called Hawkes Learning. Hawkes is fairly easy to use and complete assignments on, but it often frustrates me because it does not allow me to zoom in on the textbook pages, and
Permission by
when it does, the words are too blurry for me to read. Hawkes also allows me to practice math problems and take quizzes on the material learned in class to see if I certify on that specific topic. As a college freshman, I operate a variation of technology daily.
This week specifically, technology has given me the opportunity to engage with people around the world and my classmates, assist me in learning and practicing material for my classes, and allow me to express my creativity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #7: Online Resources for Teachers

Post #8: Audio Recording, Editing, and Scriptwriting Apps

Blog Post #9: Creativity and Collaboration Apps for your Students